Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:51:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
I have used some Bee Max styrofoam hive-top feeders this year, and the ants have ruined them.  Came in from the top edge under the cover, where no bees can get to them, and excavated colonies in the plastic.  Several varieties of ants, from big (3/8 inch) black carpenter ants to little (1/16 inch) black "sugar" ants, and another black species intermediate in size.  Although they seem to have started at the top edge, they frequently perforated the sidewall (while the feeder was empty, I reckon).  The resulting leaks were quite noticeable -- from 1/16 inch diameter to 1/4 inch.  Anyway, four of the ten feeders I put out have been put out of business.

I suppose the Bee Max supers might be immune to this ant problem, because there's probably less chance of the ants getting to the top edges undisturbed by the bees.

I like the feeders, but didn't anticipate this problem.  I'd suggest that the top and inner faces be painted (with what?) before use.  Right now, I'm squeezing Gorilla Glue into the visible holes, and letting it expand as much as it can.  Then I plan to paint the feeders with urethane.

Walter Weller

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2