From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:15:45 -0600
George, I can't let this go by.  Brushing bees with the wrong type of brush
and technique makes them mad.  With the right technique and brush, I can
move lots of bees with no stinging.  Next time I see you in MD, I'll be
glad to demonstrate.

As per bare fingers - I don't wear gloves.  Not sure if the bees don't
sting because bare fingers are not natural in the hive OR because my sense
of touch is much better without gloves.  If I crowd or squeeze a bee with
my bare hands, I know it.  Can't do that with gloves on.

Finally, I don't recommend working bees without gloves to beginners.  I've
seen a toppled hive or dropped frame result in numerous stings, with the
beekeeper getting sick, and often reacting badly when next stung.  So, I
recommend gloves until you are comfortable and reasonably skillful.

Cheers
Jerry