From:
j h & e mcadam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 22:27:36 +0900
>I have been looking through the web for information about how to process
>propolis but have not been able to find anything.
>
>Does anyone have or know any formulas for processing Propolis for ingestion
>and also for external use?

There is a vast difference between experimenting with raw propolis for your
own consumption and marketing as a medication.  In Australia, I think this
would take you into the realm of Therapeutic Goods with all the consequent
licensing and inspection.  If you are looking to commercial marketing, I
suggest you investigate what regulations apply for medicines.

There is an apitherapy page which provides links to various propolis
producers and information pages at
http://www.sci.fi/~apither/bdbindex.html.
You could also try Beehoo search engine at the same Web address.

The short answer to your query is that propolis is processed according to
the final end use, as a tincture or whatever.  This is by dissolving the raw
product in substances such as ether or alcohol and then preparing for human
use.   Anecdotal evidence from the Internet refers to individuals trying
their own combination of ingredients to render the raw propolis palatable,
or at least able to be ingested.  From all reports, the taste is terrible
and there are side effects such as diarrhoea to beware of.  There is also
the possibility of contaminants being present in the raw propolis.

I do not want to discourage you from the pursuit of knowledge.  I simply
point out the responsibility you take on when providing a medical substance
without appropriate training.  There are apitherapy courses advertised
through the Apitherapy chat line and probably elsewhere.  That is probably a
good starting point.

Betty McAdam
HOG BAY APIARY
Penneshaw, Kangaroo Island
J.H. & E. McAdam<[log in to unmask]
http://kigateway.kin.net.au/hogbay/hogbay1.htm

Why not visit the South Australian Superb Websites Ring?
http://kw.mtx.net/sawebring/sawebring.html