From:
Robert Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:45:50 -0400
On 24-Sep-17, at 6:36 AM, Bill Greenrose wrote:

> Throwing rocks at my own statement, as someone else mentioned, there
> are many species of goldenrod.  Around here there are at least 4
> main varieties that I see - short, medium tall and flattop (and
> probably a lot more than that), so, even with goldenrod, there are a
> number of different sources.  IF ALL goldenrod is becoming equally
> deficient, then that doesn't help.  But, if it is species-specific,
> then the variety might make a difference.

Hi Bill & All

This summer was different, cold and too much rain July & Aug, hot &
dry mid-late Sept.  Normally around here, goldenrod (some varieties)
start  blooming in in the fields 1-2 km away by early-mid August (a
dearth period for us).  2-3 weeks later we get some blooming in our
valley but no nectar or pollen.  A major flow starts, as indicated by
my scale hive annually, on or about Sept 15 and runs for about 2 weeks
in spite of normal Sept weather with cold and rain and several nice
sunny days thrown in and the scale readings increasing 20 pounds per
day or more many days. This year with temperatures mid to high 20's
C(75-85F) dropping to mid teens(60F) at night and no rain since Labour
Day the goldenrod flow started about Sept 15, is slower but averaging
10 pounds per day with some hives needing supers yesterday and total
scale hive increase of 86 pounds so far. It seems that the goldenrod
flow comes only from the later blooming varieties, so hopefully those
varieties produce good pollen.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada