From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 May 2009 08:44:28 -0500
Hello Peter & All,
Many times medical issues are suppressed due to the maker of these products
not wanting any bad PR about their products. The makers of paraffin wax are
the largest corporations (and most profitable) on the planet.( oil
companies).
The health risks of paraffin candles in your home is not new news. Soy
candles & beeswax candles are better choices say the health conscious folks.
However those which carve candles find paraffin is better suited for carving
and the clear color works great for lighted candles. Paraffin is cheaper and
easily obtained. The oil companies actually make deliveries to candle shops.
Give us discounts and tax exemptions.
The oil companies are easy to work with and try to cater to the candle
market. However efforts to point out that breathing paraffin fumes might not
be healthy are met with the usual  resistance.

My knowledge:
I purchased a candle carving business from a carver with health issues
(which his doctors were not sure what was causing his problems he told me ).
He ran an add in a local paper . He said he would teach me to carve which he
did. I made and sold all I could make (in my beekeeping spare time) and sold
his inventory for enough to pay for the business. I found candle carving
relaxing after a day working the bees and carving came easy for me. I
experimented with carving beeswax and beeswax with a paraffin center but did
not work (which was what the master candle carvers had told me but needed to
see for myself).
When I decided to carve candles at Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri I
became a student of one of the U.S. master candle carvers. She said I was a
natural but a little rough around the edges which she would cure.
As I was getting ready to leave she asked if I knew about the dangers of
breathing paraffin fumes. I said no.  She then explained she had been a
member of the candle carvers guild for decades and had attended all the
conventions. She explained and named the rare type of cancer many of her
fellow candle carvers had contracted. She left the candle shop later in the
year and on my next visit the employees said she quit for health reasons and
did not explain further. I carved candles for awhile afterword's and then
dropped the project completely. I have had a few people interested in the
equipment but I feel obliged to share what I know about *possible* health
issues from prolonged breathing of paraffin fumes and so far all have
decided not to get into candle carving. I believe the person I bought the
business from knew of the health risks but kept quiet.
Candle carvers are rarer than beekeepers! If all the candle carvers died of
a rare form of cancer it would not even be a percent of a percent of the
population. I felt the information was enough for me to decide I did not
need to breathe the fumes but others may feel the risk is not great. All I
know.

bob