From:
John Partin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:07:53 -0400
Beekeeper from Florida.  Sometimes heat is a problem and sometimes it is
not. When we are makeing Orange we hope that it gets hot, it seems the
trees make more honey the hoter it gets.   During the galberry its
always hot some of the time and rain has far more to do with the flow
than anything else.
   I have never done anything different to my hives because of heat.
When possible I do put them in the shade starting in May.  This is done
for my comfort not the bees.  In my years at beekeeping I have not seen
any difference in the amount of honey made when you put them in the
shade or leave them in the sun.
   We pollinate a lot of melons and if you are depending on them makeing
any honey on them they may starve no mater if they are irrigated or not.
You may make a little honey while you pollinate mellons or cukes but it
will not be from them.  This is how it is in Florida.
    We have to move bees in hot weather.  We either move them early in
the morning or at nite.   It takes lots more smoke to get all of the
bees in the hives when its hot and you always have wet forks when you
pull them out from under most pallets.
BUD