From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 15:05:25 -0700
Dateline: San Diego CA

I had a $25 gift certificate from a door prize at an Alberta meeting and had
the presence of mind to bring it along to San Diego.  Together with $15 in
greenbacks, I exchanged the coupon at the Kelley booth for a copy of "Honey
Bee Pests, Predators, & Diseases", Third Edition, Edited by Roger Morse and
Kim Flottum.

It's a thick book, and I was actually hoping for more detailed info on AFB,
but it fell open at the section on pseudos and spiders and I remembered our
previous discussion.  There are several fascinating pages and I won't type
them all out, but here are a few short teaser excerpts. If you are really
interested in this, try to get the book.  It has much more on pseudos -- and
a bibliography. Be sure to get the latest edition.

>>>Murthy and Venkatamaraman even believe this pseudoscorpion can be used as
a bioindicator as to whether swarms of the Indian honey bee Apis cerana have
settled into an new homesite...

>>>Furthermore, their consumption of mites in beehives has been reported in
Southern and Eastern Africa  (citation) and in Germany (citation).   In
India colonies of bees that had pseudoscorpions were remarkably free of
moths and mites...

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/