From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:34:54 -0800
(The quote in the subject line belongs to E. R. & A. I. Root 1905)

Randy Writes:
> When one does post an idea or hypothesis, one should then expect a vigorous
and respectful discussion of that hypothesis.

I agree with you Randy, and would like to add.
One should not only expect discussion, but invite it!

In the 1905 edition of The ABC of Bee Culture
By Amos Ives Root, Ernest Rob Root.
In 1880, Doolittle was invited by
A. I. Root to review the book

Page 408 of ABC of Bee Culture starts in this manner:

“In 1880 we employed Mr. G. M. Doolittle
to go over the ABC book carefully, that
he might point out its faults, and add such
suggestions as his large experience might
dictate. He did this; and his remarks are
of so much value that we have added them
here. Where obvious errors were pointed
out, of course nothing remained but to correct
them,…”

3 pages of Doolittles comments were published in ABC of Bee Culture,
with page 410 ending with one final comment by Doolttle in which he writes:

"Friend Root:—Although I have been pressed for
time and hardly knew how to do it, I have thoroughly
read the preceding pages, and criticized what I
considered wrong. I may not have clothed my language
with as smooth a dress as some would have
done; but, believe me. I have not intended to be
harsh, and if you find any thing that so sounds, please
forgive. I did not intend any thing but kindness."
-Borodino  N. Y.                      G. M. Doolittle

Following Doolittles comments,. page 411 of ABC of Bee Culture starts in this manner:

"The comments of Mr. Doolittle proved so
valuable that we employed a no less practical
and prominent bee-keeper (D. C. Miller) to likewise
review and comment on the general subject
matter. This he did in 1880 and 1900 As
is pointed out in the preface, the editions
for 1899 and 1900 were so much re-written
that an entire new set of comments have
been prepared. Although we differ on some
few points it will be interesting to the reader
to notice how nearly we agree in our experiences
on all the fundamental principles of the pursuit."

Best Wishes,
Joe
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/HistoricalHoneybeeArticles/