From:
Ken Hoare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 00:39:01 -0000
Allen

I apologise if you have previously received this message (computer operator
problems) which was mailed a couple of days ago, but currently nobody has
mentioned the system which will be perfect for the likes of yourself with
3000 colonies - the uncapping of sealed drone larvae. I stated in the
previous mailing;

"Now if I had 3,000 hives I know how I would go about detecting for levels
of Varroa infestation and that is uncapping sealed drone larvae with the
uncapping fork. Every time you go to a yard as you call them, quickly open
as many hives as possible and search for combs containing a fair proportion
of sealed drone comb, you will appreciate there likely to be the flank combs
so you will not even be disturbing 'Her Majesty'. You need drone larva that
are at the 'red eyed stage' which is going to be about 7/8 days after the
cell is sealed. Not wishing to be too murderous a beekeeper I usually just
remove a couple of cappings to judge the age of the larva in that area, but
once I have found some of the correct age I run the spikes just below the
cappings, give a little 'jiggle', a shake really which just loosens the
cappings and lift. You've probably seen the photographs or slides of this
process, there in all our Ministry leaflets. Once clear of the cells any
reddish/brown varroa mites on the impaled larvae can be clearly seen against
the whitish/cream bodies of the pupa. Its also a good idea, if you have got
the time, to look back into the now open cells."

The previous message contained more - too much - and seemingly failed the
system but come back direct if I can be of further assistance.

Ken Hoare