From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:59:22 -0400
Bill Hesbach:  "If one is interested in some perspective on past US alternatives to neonicotinoids, it's worthwhile to get a copy of book Pollinator Protection by Johanson and Mayer."

Bill provided a URL to a copy of the out-of-print original book.   Larry Conner at Wicwas re-issued the book so we could use it in our  Journeyman Online Classes - it's a required book.  The text is by J and M, the tables giving LD  and RT values for every pesticide tested up through the 90s includes the work of Larry Atkins.  The new, reprint (still retains all of the original's text, charts, tables - just has a new cover) is available at: http://wicwas.com/project/pollinator-protection-32-00/

This book provides the history of pesticides in USA by the three people who were formative in terms of establishing the testing protocols used to this day by EPA and in terms of testing and ranking for hazard just about every pesticide used in the US during their careers.  Unfortunately, Dan is the only one still with us.

Louisa Hoovens, Ramish  Sagili, Erik Johansen (Carl's son)  updated Larry's data with information for the more recent pesticides in an Oregon State Extension Brochure, How to Reduce Bee Poisoning from Pesticides:  https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw591

OSU also makes this available as a Smart Phone App in iOs and Android versions.  It's free and every beekeeper and grower should have a copy.

One note, the OSU Brochure/App updates the old Riverside Extension Brochures of Atkins - in a similar style and format.

The Johansen and Mayer book provides the history, the background, explains testing protocols, and puts the information together in a readable manner that emphasizes application of their life-long experience into the context of protecting pollinators - not just pesticide toxicity and residue rankings but also basic information of apiary locations, pesticide drift, effects of weather, etc.

Get the book and the brochure and you've got the ability to make the comparisons that have been requested.

When we started our classes, the J&M book was out-of-press.  Larry was able to find the original and re-print it.  We get some comments about it being an old book.  But  it's all based on testing for pesticide registration - the data and information never goes out of date.  It has a dated look - all black and white, but it  is what it is - a gold mine of information, all in one place.  The good news is that we get reports of class members buying copies to give to their local bee associations, new beekeepers, and many give them to growers.