From:
Laura Downey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 1995 20:25:28 -0400
Hi all -

   I went out and inspected my two hives today.  The one is doing great!
 They're working on a super now - should have my first surplus honey soon.

   The second hive is not doing so well.  Still no sign of the queen.  What
is there is capped brood, emergency _and_ swarm cells.  There is no larva
present.  I am totally confused about the presence of both swarm and
emergency cells.  What is going on?

    Is there a point at which I can requeen this hive without the possibility
of losing the newly installed queen to a new "emergency" queen?  Is waiting
until late summer too late to requeen?  I don't want to lose this hive.  What
are your suggestions as to what I should do in order to save this colony?

   Thanks in advance!

Laura Downey
Maryland