From:
Keith Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2007 08:23:18 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>

> As for controls, I always considered all those still on LC
> 5.4mm and other sizes unchanged, the controls, for showing
> the failures while we proceeded on down the path,FWIW.

They cannot be controls as they manage their bees differently, prolly
have different strains of bees, are in different areas etc.  The point
of a control is that the control group is identical to the test group,
except for the variable in question.

The beekeeper is a variable, yep, that is you.  I certainly would not
suggest that just because my LC hives crash on a given year, and your
SC hives do not, that SC is better.  I suspect the difference would
have more to do with the vast difference in the experience of the
beekeepers to have a larger effect.

Bottom line - there are a number of people who will try small cell for
a number of reasons.  But this is the tiny minority.  Want to reach
more folks - you need data with controls.  Don't care to reach the
majority, keep on as you are.  But then, we have all heard all of this
before.

No one wanted to collect data in the past and the reason cited was "why
collect data, we KNOW it works".  Now the reason is "we don’t want to
your business, you simply cannot expect there to be an end to the
speculation, skepticism, and doubters as they will not be in short
supply.

And before anyone asks, yes I ahve some SC bees, and some LC bees.  I
really see no difference between the two but my "N" is simply not large
enough to pick a fight over it.

Keith