Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2018 21:46:42 -0600
This winter I lost some colonies that I should not have.  Measured varroa levels were low in September.  Population and stores were in keeping with what in other years would have predicted a successful winter.  I find myself stretching to deal with an undiagnosed problem.

The subject of stress and its effect on honeybee colonies has surfaced in many corners of beekeeping recently.  In other posts here the suggestion that some of the lethal viruses of the honeybees world exist in all colonies, but for undelineated reasons are not fatal.  In a recent discussion with other beekeepers, we pondered if reducing stress would provide assistance in helping the bees to deal with these viruses.  I wonder if I could have reduced the stress in my beeyard and reduced my losses.  With that in mind, I turn to the resources of Bee-L.

Is there any research that examined the link between stress and viral deaths?

What sources of stress significantly affect bees?

Is it possible and useful to control sources of stress?

Any thoughts on reducing stress?

We have long thought of stress as enabling chalk brood, nosema, and European foul brood… and often the bee inspector suggests curing these problem by reducing stress on the colony.  Are viral infections on the that list also?  I searched the last five years of Bee-L and found many comments relating the two.  Some noted that viruses cause colony stress.  But I am thinking of the possibility of controlling other sources of stress to mediate the virus/varroa threat.

I don’t know if this line of thinking is useful, but my dissatisfaction with the recent events in my beeyard leads me to consider this.  As an old friend of mine used to say, “I want to see if this dog can hunt.”  I appreciate your collective thinking.

Larry Krengel

Marengo, IL  USA