From:
Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2012 06:48:44 -0500
> http://ocs.jki.bund.de/index.php/GMOhoney/GMOhoney/paper/view/78

The abstract is in English but at the bottom left is a button marked “full text….PDF”, this is in German. I would have preferred to read the full text rather than this or the selected fragments quoted by Juanse Barros.

I have no objection to explaining on the label that my honey contains pollen (although as the pollen content is probably less than 0.9% I do not have to do so), I am also willing to explain that it will crystallise in time. I will also be able to indicate that it does not contain GMO pollen which I think will be a definite advantage.
Those unfortunate enough to have GMO crops within flying distance of their apiaries will have to mark “contains GMO pollen” if more than 0.9% of the total pollen is GMO.

The court explained clearly why it regarded pollen as an ingredient.

 [82 The interpretation proposed (to consider it a ‘natural component’, ie. part of rather than an ingredient) would undermine the objective of protecting human health, since a foodstuff such as honey would escape any safety checks, even though it might contain significant quantities of genetically modified material.]

And:

[87 Lastly, Monsanto’s suggestion, put forward in order also to exclude honey from the scope of that regulation, to the effect that the presence of pollen is not the result of an intentional production process, cannot be accepted.

88 On the contrary, that presence is the very consequence of a conscious and deliberate production process by the beekeeper, who wishes to produce the foodstuff classified as honey by the European Union legislation. Moreover, it results, essentially, from the action of the beekeeper himself, by virtue of the centrifugation operation which he carries out for the purposes of collection.]

So an alternative appears. Find a way of extracting honey without disturbing cell containing pollen or, be honest when you label.

Bil Harley