From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:05:29 -0400
>> it is based on extrapolation of data. That's what is done whenever the
>> actual number can't be determined.
>>
>Not true since it is a biased sample.  You first ask for those who
>suffer from the problem then extrapolate from that?

The investigators have made it clear they are getting data from people who
have it and from ones who don't. Obviously there is some degree of skewing
in ANY survey. I am NOT a statistician so I cannot talk intelligently on
that (I do know that this one of the major concerns of survey experts).

If a third of the bees are gone from a few hundred beekeepers' hives in 20
something states, it is not far fetched to speculate that a third of the all
the US bees may be gone. If there were 2.5 million colonies and a third
died, that makes around 830 thousand dead (Jerry's number was 650 to 800).

>Plus, what I asked for is simple- what are the actual numbers of
>reported collapsed colonies and how many are definitely CCD. I think
>those would be nice numbers to know to get some perspective.

How can anyone say that the cause is definitely CCD if no one knows what it
is? No causative agent, no test, no diagnosis, no treatment. Bottom line:
all the clubs in the country should start surveying their own members. Don't
wait for the big picture, because it will be pieced together from the small
picture anyway.

pb