From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 08:23:04 -0600
> First it will be excessive quotes then duplications that were posted two
> or three years ago, maybe it will be something that you disagree with...

Gee, some of you guys can sure take a giant leap and read a whole lot into
something that is simply not there. He means exactly what he says and no
more.

> ...Finally my feeling on this is strong enough that I would rather be
> unsubscribed than censored.

Give me a break.  This is not 'Give me Liberty or give me Death'.
This is a small administrative change in one internet mailing list.  And,
moreover, this small change is exactly what Aaron says it is and nothing
more.  Just because Aaron and/or a panel of moderators may return posts to
the sender if they do not meet reasonable standards of consideration for
the list and others does not in any way imply or mean that he plans
censorship.  I assume that once such posts are repaired and re-posted they
will be relayed via the listserv.

Are you in favour of no speed limits, safety or pollution standards for
vehicles, and no limits to vehicle weights and widths on a highway?  I
think not. Do you like multiple copies of large binaries, huge mangled
posts and blank posts in your mailbox?  I think not.  Are you proud of
BEE-L logs and digests that are too large to download and unreadable after
they are retrieved due to binaries and HTML content?  Do you care?  That
is what this is about.  And without some control point, one day soon SPAM
too will come to BEE-L.  It is only a matter of time. Personally I am for
eliminating more than such simple abuse of the list.  I favour stronger
moderation, but Aaron is a staunch supporter of free speech and will
likely to allow the list to continue to pass on a lot of drivel and
misinformation without comment -- as he has for years. Shucks.

The news of these contemplated changes has been released prematurely, as
Aaron has been experimenting with the (badly documented) LISTSERV commands
in the background to find the capabilities of the system.  LISTSERV has
some pretty good features -- as we found out in regards the search
features some time back.  It also has ways that allow control of
accidental or deliberate abuse of the list -- and that is what is being
worked on.  We've had some problems in the past and can see that it will
get worse in the future.  We don't want someone posting a copy of Netscape
to the list (10 MB or so in size) and have that sent to eveyone.  Imagine
800 people having to wait a few hours for their mail to download.

At any rate, before we start attacking Aaron, let's think about this: who
here besides Aaron has done one material thing to ensure the survival and
growth of BEE-L?  Who has quietly and selflessly donated time to do the
dirty work to keep the thing running on a daily basis?  As a list owner
myself, I can assure you that the costs in time, cash and effort are not
trivial.  As far as I am concerned, Aaron has a perfect right to shut down
the list any day if he likes and no one has a right to say one word about
it.  Moreover, as things now stand, if Aaron gets hit by a truck, BEE-L
is dead in a week or two.

Every BEE-L member, without exception is riding for free on Aaron's good
will and generosity.  Many appreciate it, however, for reasons I don't
begin to understand,  a few act like they own this list and take the time
to excoriate him for trying to improve it and to even imply impure
intentions.

Let's have some respect.  If some members have irrational fears of
persecution, how about discussing them as such?   Let not post accusations
and imputations against the honesty and integrity of a man who has served
us all this time almost silently, and for free.

Allen