Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 17:19:17 EDT
Frank,
I have not replied to your letter concerning "rotation", which most refer to
as "reversing".  I hate to "hog an act", so I thought I should let others
voice an opinion.

Reversing is not only widely used, but is well accepted as one of the more
positive controls of swarming.  I refer to you to page 618 of the 1992
Extensively Revised
Edition of the Hive and Honey Bee.

If you are going to change from using two deep to 3 medium bodies for brood
chambers as I previously suggested, reversing is easier with 3 bodies than
with 2.
Just wait until all brood is gone from the bottom body, and place that body
above the other two.  In the spring, bees like to go UP, and hate going DOWN.
  By reversing, you are just providing empty laying space for the queen ABOVE
her existing location.

What state are you in?  Weather is SO important, and good advice is weather
dependent.

George Imirie in Maryland