From:
Tom Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 00:02:15 -0500

<< iscussion of Bee Biology)
 To:    [log in to unmask] (Multiple recipients of list BEE-L)

<<Dear Bee-listers...
 Well, its that time of year.  And since all my bees died last winter I
 thought I might ask the lists what the best way to insulate their hives
 for the winter, since this may have been my problem.
 What I was planning to do was place an empty super over (or under?) the
 inner cover and fill it with something....maybe straw?....Well.that is
 what I would like to know.  I know they need ventilation during the
 winter to get rid of moisture, and I just popped an outer cover and there
 is already drops of water on the inner cover..>>.

  A friend showed me how to make an outer box of polyethylene foam blcok scuh
as used in poured concrete foundations. They are coursely dove-tailed so that
they snap in place .A band of  tape around the ouside is a good secuirty
against high winds. I have made pitched roof covers with vents that allow for
constant
ventilation. Can not saymore than that they worked on some hives for two
years, and in others I had the usual losses popularly attributed to varroa
and trachael
mites.   The hives are insulated but not airtight. Will send sketch on
request

ed but not air tight which would cause condensation.