From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2011 18:50:44 -0500
I may have been a bit strong in my words
describing swarm trap placement in a
beeyard as wrong.  But it certainly
cannot be described as the
'preferred placement.'

----------------

Just because it is convenient I generally leave a bait hive in the beeyard.
I have had some success, but I think not with swarms that emanate from the
beeyard.  I have often wondered if the smell of the beeyard draws the scouts
to look in that area for new accommodations.  Swarms are drawn by bee
smell - lures or used comb - so it seems possible.  One of the strongest
most successful swarms I acquired last year moved into my beeyard bait hive
and I could not find a resident colony that had swarmed.  That gypsy colony
is going to be making queens for me this year.

Sugar syrup and pollen patties on... anticipating dandelions.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA