From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 20:08:10 +0100
Hi Susan

Your Original Message -----
From: Susan L. Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>

> Maybe I've missed it, because there has been a lot of traffic in this
> thread, but it seems to me the logical test situation for this theory
> would be feral hives.

I do wish it were as simple as that but feral colonies, or swarms, produce
comb initially with the bees that were bred in the current large size cells.
The size of cell produced is 5.4mm 5.3mm or 5.2mm (our local foundation is
either 5.45mm or 5.7mm). Please do not set much store by these figures as at
the moment my personal data only contains seven examples.

I have yet to test what happens when these colonies swarm. I will be
conducting tests with starter strips that have no cellbase impressions but
that has to wait for next season. by which time I wll have my own supply of
4.9mm foundation and also 6.125mm size (for my precious drones).

Reply from, Dave Cushman
G8MZY
Email: [log in to unmask]
Website...Beekeeping and Bee Breeding