From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 09:15:58 -0500
Now Tom, You tell me. Why is it I can feed my bees in the middle of the day, and
not have "all mayhem" break loose? With 1000 colonies to feed each fall(probably
1/3 that number need feed in the spring), how could I possibly feed them at
dusk. I think it absurd, in my experience, to say bees can't safely be fed
during the day. I don't find excessive robbing or stinging going on when I feed
during the day. You know, when we feed bees, it is usually done without wearing
veils. First, one helper and I weigh the hive. You know, actually pick the hive
up with a hanging scale, and then put it back down-usually roughly as we have at
least 100 a day to do. I smoke each colony before toutching it, and have no
problem with stinging. The next person comes behind with the cans of syrup. They
too are usually without veils. During this time I see no excessive robbing or
stinging. Each year, I may see one or two colonies robbed. These invariably
prove to be queenless or so weak as to be worthless anyway. While most of my bee
yards are located away from populated areas, I do have some near peoples'
residences. I've yet to have any complaints. While I don't doubt your bad
experiences, I fail to understand why this happens to you and not to me.   Mike