From:
krengel lawrence e <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 20:45:46 -0600
On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Mark Jensen wrote:

> >I regularly heat my crystalized honey and notice no change in the
> >flavor.  I am though cautious to heat only to about 145 degrees F.  When
> >I first did this using a double boiler, it was hard to maintain the
> >temperature.  I found the solution at a farm auction.  I bought a old
> >thermostatically controlled deep frier.  It does an excellent - and
> >inexpensive - job.  Once set, the thermostat warms to 145 and holds it
> >until all crystals are gone.  I can do about a half dozen one pound
> >bottles at a time...  The water (which I use instead of the oil the frier
> >used to use) acts as a buffer just as the double boiler would.
> >
> >Larry Krengel
> >Marengo, IL  USA
>
> 145 degrees will seriously damage your honey. Anything above 110 will
> destroy the enzymes which are in the honey and which give fresh honey its
> special flavors and odors. Do a taste test on before and after samples You
> can liquefy your honey by setting your melter to 100 degrees F and leaving
> it for 24 hours. Experiment with the temp and the time. The lower the temp
> the longer it will take. I would recommend the lowest temp to liquefy the
> honey in 24 hours. I have a waterbed heater in an old chest freezer
> connected to a Walter Kelley temperature switch. With the switch set to 95
> degrees F most any honey liquefies in 24 hours. 60's take about 2 days.
>
> Mark Jensen-Double J Apiaries           [log in to unmask]
> Los Altos Hills, CA, USA                     fax 415 941 3488

Mark -

Your thoughts are interesting.  Do you have any cites from research about
the enzymes being destroyed at 100+?  I would enjoy reading it.  I find
that the local commercial (I am definately not commercial) beekeeper also
heats his to 140ish... however, he uses a flash heater.  I intend to try
you 100 degrees for 24 hours.
 Larry