From:
"W. Kirk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1993 09:29:29 +0100
All commercial paints I have tested do not give any significant UV
reflection. Paints sold as "lead paint" because they are supposed
to be tougher than ordinary paint clearly contain a very small
amount of lead! The amount is a trade secret it seems.
To get a UV-reflecting paint, you can try to get one made up
with lead carbonate to give white + UV. Some people have
tried to add UV to other colours by mixing in lead carbonate
but this makes the colour very pale. Commercial white
paint is titanium dioxide (white without UV).
Yellow or blue with UV will be rather difficult. Glass filters
over lamps can give colours with UV.
See my paper in Ecological Entomology (1984) 9, 35-41 for
reflectance spectra of some paints and the resulting catches.
Don't trust UV reflectance unless you measure it yourself!!

  William Kirk,  Keele University, U.K.