From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Feb 2014 00:20:36 -0500
We developed and continue to use free-flying 'sniffer'  bees, as well as use PERs as a benchtop assay.  We use LIDAR to find conditioned bees over targets (landmines, drug labs, dead bodies, sick plants, etc.).

You can contact me at [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

A bees-in-a-box approach was pioneered by Inscentinel in England, and they've worked with us in Montana.  They basically use a variation of  PERS, and their business model is to provide customers with conditioned bees.

We're currently working with collaborators in New Zealand on a variety of projects involving bee odor detection, and  we are looking for funding to take our landmine conditioning/detection system to Croatia to demo its capability.  FYI, we're on good relations with the Croatian group who are trying to do the same, after having seen our systems some years ago.   Nikola has been over to the US twice, and I've published with him.

The Croatian researchers not had the amount of funding nor as many years of experience that we have had, so we can bring  them more mature methods and instruments to augment what they're trying to do.  Fox  News ran a short video on our current system a couple of months ago, the video is still available on-line.

Sniffer is a term commonly applied to dogs conditioned to detect things by odor.  The term sniffer dog is used in Britain, Canada, NZ, and Australia; but this term is not used much in the USA.  Bees have a remarkable olfactory system, but technically, they don't sniff anything.

Jerry

P.S. Give my regards to Kevin.