From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:47:47 -0700
Allen Dick wrote:

> > They sold honey in waxed paper blocks, advertising that this proved
> > the purity of their product, since adulterated honey would not
> > crystallize.
>
> I do not recommend placing any doubt in the consumers mind about honey purity.

I mention the purity angle in the historical context of a time when food
adulteration was quite common. For example, milk producers would not now advertise
their milk as being formaldehyde-free, but as I understand it, that method of
preservation was used up till the Pure Food and Drug Act in the 1920s, to prolong
"freshness" in milk.  But on the other hand, maybe this (crystallization
marketing) would be a viable way to combat the "honey-blend" products I have seen
mentioned.  The "organic" honey marketers have never had a problem with pointing
out the evils of heating, straining, and mixing (Jack's Raw, Wild, Unfiltered
Honey is one we get locally here).
BTW, the early honey-sellers who mixed in water or syrups prob. never had the
nerve to market it as a "blend".
  - Asif I have to say, views are my own
      - John (support yer local beelab) Edwards, Tucson, Arizona