From:
James Kilty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 00:24:06 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Susan L. Nielsen
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>So, if cell size in feral hives is smaller, and if smaller cell size
>inhibits reproduction of V. destructor, then feral hives should not
>succumb to varroa pressure.
Once in equilibrium - i.e. swarm from beekeepers colony produces comb a
little smaller than its starting size; generations from this size
produce further comb which is slightly smaller and so on to a natural
size. Feral swarms start further along this process (which wouldn't take
long - perhaps one or two seasons at most). This must have been the case
for a high percentage of feral colonies before varroa (not all). So
therefore many feral colonies should have survived if it were the *only*
factor. Since they didn't, it cannot be the only factor. Enlighten me
please.
--
James Kilty