From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2010 11:40:44 -0500
Hello All,

Beekeeping history is my favorite subject. If happened in the last fifty
years most likely I am very knowledgeable on the subject. Fifty to a hundred
fifty years back not as good but can comment and date most topics.

Early attempts by chemical companies to use systemic pesticides were many.

Systemic pesticides:
The point many on the list which say systemic pesticides are not causing
issues need to understand is this is a very old battle between beekeepers &
chemical companies and NOTHING has changed since the first time period when
chemical companies proposed placing poison in nectar & pollen to kill pests.
Nothing! The concept keeps being tossed out and then beekeepers have be able
to prevent implementation. Until the neonicotinoids.

Article from the October 1954 Glennings in Bee Culture( pg. 615):

"Insecticide Appears in Nectar"
Scharadan (OMPA) one of the *NEW SYSTEMIC* insecticides was sprayed on
mustard
& borage plants in the greenhouse. The material was found in the nectar a
few days after spraying and *remained present for a month after application*
.
The highest concentration found was 21 parts per million. The material
remained stable when placed in contact with the honey stomach of the bee and
also when in contact with the enzyme invertase. Scharadan when placed in
honey remained stable for a period of two and a half months.
source:
Glynne Jones, G.D. and W.D.E. Thomas
"Experiments On The Possible Contamination of honey with Schradan "
Annals of Applied Biology 40: 546-555 ( 1953)

My opinion:
Beekeepers today ( like back in 1954) have a right to be upset when poison
is placed in the food the bees eat. Honey & pollen people eat!
 The main reason for the above study was
that Europe would not accept honey with 21 parts per million of Schradan.
People were pretty naive back then but Europe said they would accepts honey
with up to 3 PPM of Schradan. Not today!

Read about the banned pesticide Schradan and decide if you would want
legislators to legislate Schradan into your food. We simply do not know what
long term effects ingesting systemic pesticides in the bees food or our are
food
will have.

Schradan

http://.chemicalbook.com/chemicalproductproperty_EN_CB1238792.htm