From:
Joel Govostes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 11:05:26 -0500
Hi Judy.  I remember hearing that one of the problems they had in that
experiment was a lack of sufficient pollination.  The bees did not last
long, I guess.  Not surprising.  Don't know if it was mite-related, or just
that the bees were stuck in that big structure.  That alone would do alot
of them in.

Bees are sometimes used in greenhouses for cucumber pollination, and have
to be replaced from time to time as the mortality is high.  Many are
probably lost from smashing into the glass in attempts to get through.  I
don't know how economically viable such an arrangement is.  It would
certainly allow control over the pollen being transferred (anyway).

I wonder if there are beekeepers whose businesses are centered on supplying
bees to greenhouses for such purposes.(?)