From:
Michael H Griggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:26:04 -0400
--Randy wrote asking for dysentery samples.

 Randy--I sent a little bee poop in the mail today for your viewing pleasure!  I examined it & found a  little of both Nosema & M. mellificae cysts, but loaded with bacteria.

Over the years I have heard 01. dysentery was caused by N. apis, 02 dysentery was not caused by N. apis, 03 dysentery was caused by an ameoba and 04 caused by bees unable to get out because of long delays in the weather and too much poor quality honey/pollen in their abdomen.

I have always believed in the role of some or all of the above.  Finally cracked a book and found the following in
---------------
"Honey Bee Pests, Predators & Diseases. 1997

Pg 26

Bee Virus X...multiplies only in the adult bees when ingested.... This virus has no relationship with N. apis, is most prevalent in bees in midwinter , and is more virulent (than bee virus y)

....In Britain, bee virus X has been found associated with the protozoan Malpighamoeba mellificae  in dead bees in late winter (Bailey et al 1983b), but it is not dependent on this parasite in the way that other viruses depend on N. apis because it multiplies equally well in bees in the presence or absence of M. mellificae.  The virus may spread especially when fecal contamination ("dysentery") is unusually severe, same as for M. mellificae.  Bee virus X shortens the lives of bees at least as much as does M. mellificae and, during its winter peak, accelerates the death of bees already infected with the protozoan (Nosema).  This is particularly harmful because young bees are not produced in winter to replace those that die.  **M. mellificae is invariably blamed  when colonies die in late winter, but the prime cause is usually the virus**

Virus like some of the other "hidden bee disease" are overlooked in insect pathology examinations. Our insect pathology lab could but does not regularly look for virus!  Varroa collapse has always  looked more like a disease to me than just a case of physical damage to the host by a parasite.  I'm beginning to believe that more of our maladies in Honey bees may be virus or microbe related.

Perhaps N. ceranae introduction was accompanied  by a new strain of bee virus X--awaiting discovery and characterization.  We are just beginning to sort some of this out using genetic tools.  Today there is a growing interest in the global spread of invasive microbes (virus, bacteria, fungi, protozoans etc)

I also wonder if some of our breeding is not favoring bees that are  being selected (unknowingly) for viral resistance along with mite tolerance.  Selection for healthy bees that happen to have resistance to certain virus might explain some of the survivor stock phenomena.  This trait(s) would be out of the radar screen for most breeders.  I have not heard of queen breeders with virology labs for testing.  Virus testing has stayed in research labs that are very carefully studying viruses.

Mike Griggs
Newfield, NY