From:
"Sevigny, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:03:12 -0400
I have a couple of questions about supering for honey extraction.  This
is
my first season, having installed bees in April.

I only purchased and assembled 2 (medium) honey supers over 2 deep
bodies.  At this point, the bees have capped every frame in one of the
supers.  The second super seems to be about 1/3 capped but every
frame is fully drawn and has lots of nectar in it.

I live in Central Massachusetts

Questions:

1.  Do the bees need an extra super?  If so, how soon?  I'm not sure
when the peek
honey flow is here, and didn't know if the honey production will drop
off quickly soon
or if it will continue for a while longer.  Do the bees need more room?
The hive population
seems to be very high, each frame covered.

2. Can capped frames be removed and replaced with new foundation?  If
so, can the
capped frames be stored so that extraction can be done at a later time?

3. How much honey should be left in the hive for the bees to overwinter?

Thanks for the advice.