From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 17:28:48 -0700
> We prefer the long side. There are a number of points why, but the main
> one is better wintering. You need to think about this one!!!!

...And then you need to run experiments *with controls* to try prove your
thinking is wrong.

Published experiments by Tibor Szabo from the 1980's proved 'warm way' to
be inferior to the more normal way for wintering sucess -- at least at the
location, under the conditions he was using.

I suspect that it is difficult to generalize.  There may be inter-related
factors that make it superior in some circumstances and not in others.  By
itself, warm way was apparently not demonstrably superior, and in fact
was noticably inferior.  Things may be different in Muskoka from things in
Beaverlodge.

It is also counter-intuitive -- to me at least -- that having a 3/8" X 2"
hole at the front of the top of the hive would time and again prove to be
a winning plan for wintering.

> Personally I don't care whether it makes the best of Bee-L or not, I like
> the exchange of information without censorship!! Has anyone else noticed
> how pleasantly quiet is has been on the list recently?

Me too.  I enjoy this list the way it is, warts and all, but there are now
129 people who have chosen to try receiving only selected and edited
items. They tell me that they are happy.

...And yes, both the articles in question did make the cut, as did your
excellent article on queen grafting systems, David.

That article said it all; I would only add one thing: that you do not need
to do the grafting yourself.  Merely set up the equipment and provide the
guidance.  I have raised thousands of queens and guess what?  I have
never, to my recollection, grafted *one* larva in the process!!  Kids love
to do it.  It's that easy.

FWIW

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey,Bees&Art<http://www.internode.net/~allend/>