Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:14:21 GMT
>>In defense of the Weaver's they have always protected their queen
lines (I have been told) and keep marked numbered breeder queens.

How do you protect your queen lines?  Even if you AI your breeder
virgins, your control over the semen is limited.  I mean you how to
your ensure exlusive EHB genes in the collected drones?  I suppose
you could do genetic testing on your virgins and drones but this is
expensive (and not necessarily 100% accurate).

I don't think EHB drone saturation will be fully effective.  Drones
drift over many miles and move from hive to hive.

>>We need U.S. queen and package producers to survive. Think of their
plight.

I feel for queen breeders and beekeepers who have operated in the
same area often for generations.  I think *good* queen producers will
need to locate in non-African areas going forward.  I don't wish for
queen producers to spread AHB genetics into areas where they are not.

Queen producers have to adapt.  George Imirie, I believe, said that
you can't keep bees like grandpa did.

>>A few AHB matings will happen and those queens will be shipped.

I am concerned about these bees swarming into the local area and
spreading their genetics.  Not everyone will be depopulated in time.

>>Get rid of those "hot" genetics and keep foulbrood out of your

hives!

This is excellent advice.  I fear not everyone will heed.  I can see
novice hobby beekeepers get AHB genetics through mail, watch hot
hives get strong in numbers and attitude, and then be afraid to
approach the hives to do the right thing.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY