From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2010 19:42:27 -0500
On 2-Feb-10, at 1:20 PM, Harvey D. Johnston wrote:

> I need advice on ordering Queen Cells that require shipping from a
> commercial breeder.  What is the percentage that I can expect of
> Queens who will emerge healthy.

Hi Harvey and all

I don't know about shipping but I have used queen cells for many
years.  The producer that I get my cells from is located 30 minutes
away from  me.  I believe timing is everything.  In a normal year  I
order my cells on Thursday, he grafts on Friday, I make my splits on
the second Sunday, I pick up the 10 day old cells the next day,
Monday morning, transport them home in an insulated lunch box warmed
to 95F, install them in my splits/nucs, then wait 25 days(watching
hive activity daily) then check for brood of all stages.  If there is
no capped brood but eggs and larvae, the cell didn't take for
whatever reason and the hive raised their own queen.  Last year 9 of
10 cells were successful one nuc raised its own queen.  Any deviation
from this or similar plan will reduce your success unless other
precautions are taken.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada