From:
andrea young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2010 07:34:07 -0400
Hello All-

Perhaps NO virus is the primary cause of CCD.
Perhaps viruses in general are a symptom of a decline into CCD.
It is a distinct possibility that CCD has multiple symptoms because the
'cause' or 'causes' predispose bees to be susceptible them.

Some believe, with increasing scientific support, that the underlying
'causes' for many abnormalities and diseases in 'canary in the mine' species
are chemical toxins. I personally am becoming more convinced that our
overzealous indulgence and application of chemicals is at least a large
contributing factor to the deterioration of health in many species,
including humans.

Lets take a human example for a moment: It used to be believed that obesity
was either a genetic/cultural predisposition or a character flaw
(overeating, lack of willpower, etc).
We now know that obesity can be triggered by a virus, stress, processed
foods (not just quantity, but chemical composition also), endocrine
disrupters (of which Atrazine, parabans, and phthalates are high on the
list) and even the use of plastics in microwaving foods through the leaching
of BPA.
Stating one 'cause' for obesity is impossible. However, the multiple
symptoms and risks of obesity, including death, are measurable.

Honeybees, and we beekeepers, do not live in isolation from the world. The
actions of others directly impact us, just as others are impacted by our
actions/reactions/inactions. I would like to suggest that the answer to
maintaining healthy hives going forward depends on our looking at the
broader environment and practices affecting that environment.

One place to start would be to work in each of our own states to encourage
both ag and residential communities to return to a less chemical intensive,
more weed friendly, more crop diverse, more natural vegetation buffered,
more local-centric practices. Dr Kremen of UC Berkely, winner of the 2007
MacArthur Fellowship, or the 'genius grant', has done extensive research on
precisely how to return to more bee friendly environments in both ag and
residential communities. Her work is readily available on the web.

Another way to start working toward the solution would be to team with our
local water organizations, in particular Riverkeeper groups, (in NY I
believe that you have both the Hudson Riverkeeper and the Beacon Institute
http://www.bire.org/contact/). In VA, PA, MD and WVa, it is the Potomac
Riverkeeper. They are actively monitoring and working with fish and
amphibians, and I am sure they would welcome a little leverage from
beekeepers.

If CCD is actually caused by one virus, or even several viruses, the anser
to the problem will be much simpler (even if very hard) than if CCD is
actually 'caused' by a systemic attitude toward the application of chemicals
in our environment. That would take years of attitude change, which I am not
sure we, or the bees, have enough time for.

:)Andrea

--
"When the well runs dry, we learn the worth of water" - Benjamin Franklin