From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:54:10 -0400
>No smoke and a loose veil, I bent over the colony,
>the bottom of the veil was not tied so it opened like a funnel and every
>bee that came up was directed right to my face...

Earlier this summer I was showing my hives to two of my Better Half's cousins.  I suited them up and then put on an old jacket and veil combo, for which the elastic around the waist no longer qualified as elastic.  We worked several hives and no less than six bees manged to get inside my jacket - four up into the arms (I was wearing a short sleeve shirt underneath) and two inside the veil.  Each time, as the bees buzzed, walked and generally tickled me, i stopped and either opened the jacket at the end of the sleeve or removed my veil.  Every time, the visiting bee flew away without stinging me.  The boys could not believe it, and their eyes pretty much bugged out (no pun intended) as a bee would appear on my wrist and then fly off.  To be frank, I could not believe it myself.  It was a warm, sunny day, a good flow was on, and the bees had more important things to do.  What was nice about it, besides not being stung, was that it really changed their opinions of honeybees.

Bill
New Hampshire, US