Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 20:37:08 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Well, I guess I've seen it all.

While shopping at our large, Arkansas-based retailer's establishment in our town, I always drift through the honey section, mostly comparing their honey prices to mine and to see what size seems to be selling.  I came across "HoneyTree's Sugar Free Imitation Honey."  I about dropped my dentures!  Why do we need this stuff?

It's made from Maltitol syrup, packed by Honeytree, Inc of Onsted, MI.  It was priced at $2.12 for a 12 oz. bottle.  Out of curiosity, I purchased a bottle.  In the long run, this only helps their marketing numbers, but I had to find out what it is.

IMHO it doesn't taste anything like honey, not even that stuff they import from other countries.  It's still 50 calories per tablespoon, so even advertised as "sugar free," it's still loaded with calories.  Is maltitol sryup really better than sugar/corn syrup?

With all respect to diabetics, whom I guess can take this stuff, why do we need this stuff and call it "imitation honey?"  Why not call it what it is, maltitol syrup?

Grant

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free, easy-to-use web site design software

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2