Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 12:45:00 -0800
Hello Alden/list,

The system described looks a lot like the system that is widely used in
Germany. I tried the method first last spring.

Yes it works, at least with my hive under test. Doesn't every brutal
disturbance reduce swarming?

The method I used differs a little;
1 Remove all boxes from bottomboard.
2 Place broodbox with open brood, food and foundation.
3 Place an open separator-device (Snelgrove) with flight-entrance open.
4 Dont look for the Queen. Let her lay eggs.
5/6/7 Place all the original hive bodies on top of the separator.
8 After 9 days; bottom box has Q-cells and honey
                top boxes dont like swarming, no flight-bees.
9 Both sections have still the same smell in there little noses!
Rearrange all boxes in original order. The temporarily bottom box can be
used as honey super.
10 Feel free to replace the Queen or not.

Alden P. Marshall wrote:

> Hi Devoted and Abbused Readers,
>
> I am looking for criticism on this matter and my philosophy for an
> attempt to inhibit or greatly reduce the effects of swarming.
>         I have tried a few methods of swarm control such as cutting cells
> [not worth the effort IMHO] and providing extra space which works
> sometime, and removing the queen which works about equally as well.
>         After much reading and thought, or as much as I can give it, I
> wonder what is of oversight in the following proceedure?
>
> Given: Colony has queen cells which appear to be in preperation for
> swarming, doesn't always happen, only most of the time.
>         1.Remove all brood chambers from bottom board.
>
>         2. Place new brood box on bottom board w/ foundation or drawn
> comb.
>
>         3. Find the queen however it has to be done.
>
>         4. Place Queen in new brood super, mabe w/ 1 frameof eggs and
> unsealed brood?
>
>         5. Place 'Q'excluder on super
>
>         6. Add empty honey super, w/ foundation or frames?
>
>         7. Place a double screen frame or some type of devider board with
> an entranc access on top of these               two.
>
>         8. Reassemble queenless colony.
>
>         9. When new queen is established recombine the two units and may
> the best queen win.
>
>         With only field bees in with the queen there is nothing to swarm
> here and this colony will be on the     decline until new bees start
> to come along. In the meantime there will be little brood to feed so most
>         nectar will be stored. Will wax be drawn with field bees, sure it
> may not be as robust as young bees do   but swarming bees (mostly
> foragers) do a pretty good job.
>
>         When new queen(s) above hatch out there will only be a small
> force of field bees to swarm if they should     so choose. Any swarm
> will certainly be smaller than with the combined forargers.
>                 Manipulations to divert swarming tendancies are certianly
> time consuming and IMO are for  not in how many instances? Do we
> know that the manipulations were the preventive or that swarming
>         was not going to occur anyway?
>
>                 Waiting with bated breath.
>
> Alden Marshalldivert
> B-Line Apiaries