From:
Rob Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 2010 08:44:59 -0400
Eugene Makovec asked:
>Rob, I know very little about this stuff, but can they certify you
>as organic if your bees are within foraging range of non-organic
>nectar sources?

Two points here.

First:
The farm and crops are being certified, not the honey. I'm
diversifying as I can't pay for the farm cost with bees alone. I grow
and sell sweet corn, popcorn, and hopefully other products alongside
my honey. I'm pondering, if the buckwheat works, to harvest it and
market that, perhaps as flour or a pancake mix. Sunflower seed should
be an easy sell. All revenues can help finance the bees. This farm
venture is a fairly new thing for me. I'm not overly idealistic. At
the market my sweet corn sold for up to $7 a dozen. Popcorn for
$2.75/lb. And so far, I'm selling out. The Farmers Market is organic
only, so certification for the produce is important. Whether this
niche continues profitable for me into the future is not certain, but
it is for now.

Second:
I doubt that there's any purely organic forage areas left anywhere in
this continent. But I also think that the major problems with honey's
quality and purity is more about what the beekeepers put into their
own hives, or what the packers do with it. No, I can't stop the bees
from leaving the acreage I manage and the forage I provide. The best
I can do is provide something blooming all season, treat bees with
things like powdered sugar, monitor the mite counts, and handle my
honey with the best of care and respect. Keeping bees alive is
important. Doing so without antibiotics or chemical treatments is a
requirement of the market for me.

After my first full season last year, I understand why farmers use
herbicides for weeds and insecticides.