Bob:
I have been in holding yards so loud you had to scream for the beek next to
you to hear you. have felt like I had been to a rock concert after work due
to the change in noise level.

When in California and we are loading semi after semi after almonds I get a
cough from being around such a large number of bees. Others report the same
thing.

Reply:
You know this is normal really, and Ed and I stopped migratory pollenation back in late 1970s/early 1980s to never want to do it again. Used to go to Almonds in beginning and even citrus over in Florida but just stopped.........I fully know well the flying levels of bees for normal commercial work you speak of and noise levels.......but most hobbyist and sideline do not!.........and yet videos of me doing simple walk away splits are tooted by some to be AHBs really flying and causing a fuss, while all I am help are doing is walking away with simple splits with full boxes of nurse bees, honey/pollen and setting down into empty equipment and without using smoke as much as possible, for the object is to keep the nurse bees and older foragers then have to fly home, etc.....nothing hard........yet, what a mental pounding you can receive for showing simple commercial divides and yet trashing yards as recently spoken about, and splitting to the 4 winds, etc is
 just the same!!! But don't see anyone tagging you guys with killers all over the place and yet, when beekeepers do come here to work bees the opposite is seen with then normal working and not out of ordinary work situations for fast splits or other.

But then you learn to let it bounce off you and go on........for it keeps the rift rath out and less competition for areas..........with those then really wanting to get into commercial beekeeping really wanting to learn.........

But loved the post and your describtions throughout Bobbie...............Have fun this coming spring again.............and hope yours and others bees make it thru.......

Dee

* Search the BEE-L archives at:                       *
* http://listserv.albany.edu:8080/cgi-bin/wa?S1=bee-l *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2