From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:25:40 -0400
On 5 Jul 99, at 7:33, Computer Software Solutions L wrote:

> Perhaps I am mis understanding what David Eyre wishes to convey, but I do
> not understand the above.
>
> A normal queen larva is fed for only 5 days, (3 days as an egg, 5 days
> unsealed, 8 days sealed). Where did 6 days feeding and 9 days feeding come
> from?.
>
> Is David saying that pressure of circumstances can force or otherwise
> persuade the bees to alter the times that the normal metamorphoses take
> place?. I have not come across this before.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. If you check a hive that has lost
it's queen unexpectantly 3-4 days after the event you'll find sealed queen
cells. Now it doesn't take a superior amount of knowledge to see that a
queen sealed after 6-7 days cannot possible be as a good as a queen sealed
after 9 days. This reflects in egg capacity, amount of pheromones produced
and general overall performance. Within a matter of days or weeks that
queen will be supersceded, but only if you watch carefully, mark the queen
will you know it's happened.
        The commercials with hundreds or thousands of hives can't possibly check
each one as often as we do, to watch and chart the progress of each and
every queen. Regretfully, a lot of their advice handed out to the amatuers
is less than the best, not outright bad, but their requirements are
certainly different.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, Canada.L3V 6H1.
Phone (705)326 7171 Fax (705)325 3461
David Eyre, Owner
e-mail<[log in to unmask]>