From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:34:57 -0500
Bob wrote:
Half the items in the kitchen have got homeopathic uses. in fact many books
 have been written on their use. I use salt to get rid of ants and Oatmeal to
 kill mice.

Two very important distinctions must be made.

One, is the product a pesticide? This is basically anything that is used to
kill pests, but generally refers to toxic substances, because non-toxic
substances seldom work against pests (there are exceptions).

Two, is this commercial use? Home use of substances is far less regulated
than commercial use. You may use things around your house in unconventional
ways that would not be legally permissable in a commercial setting.

Whether one agrees with these points or not, there is a certain plain logic
involved.

Two, since the quantities are much larger and applications are often
performed by assistants, the potential for error and abuse is magnified.

Two, when one is operating on a commercial level, the public is usually
involved, especially in food production, or pest control of buildings and
landscaping.

In the past I have documented the widespread misuse of pesticides due to
inadequate training, lack of care and even the problem of exceeding small
print on labels.

These are not off the wall opinions but ones which have been instilled in me
during the training I received in getting certified to apply pesticides in
NYS. Personally, I believe that it would be worthwhile require pesticide
training and certification to beekeepers who apply registered pesticides and
sell the honey. Nearly every single beekeeper I have ever met has misused
pesticides in one way or another.

(PS. Bee go, smoke, etc. are not pesticides. PDB crystals, rat poison, ant
bait, etc. are)

PB