From:
Tom Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:44:27 -0800
Dave,

 > My question is, if I want to increase
 >  my hives from 2 to 4 by spitting them can I do this in the fall or
should
 >  this only be done in the spring? Our wintering in upstate NY are
brutal
 >  frequently -30-40. Would they be strong enough to hold their own if
I spit
 >  them.

>  No.  Sometimes we make fall splits in the south. But even here, it is a
> gamble, done only if you are willing to take the risk.

It sounded, from my reading that these folks considered the honey flow
over.  If there is to be no more harvest there is more than enough time
to build up a nuc to a full strength colony, even here in Alaska.

Tom

--
"Test everything.  Hold on to the good."  (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Tom Elliott
Chugiak,  Alaska
U.S.A.