From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2013 11:10:48 -0400
> I have learned a lot on this list about pesticide issues. Some thing staggered me, the application of fungicides at bloom on almonds

Yeah, me too. We can't simply "find something out" and stay there. There's always "the rest of the story".

I was mystified to learn of the widespread use of antibiotics to combat a variety of pests. Antibiotics are being sprayed all over trees in bloom and injected into the trunks. To me, widespread use of antibiotics in this way of far more concern than targeted insecticides, even if they are not as well targeted as we are led to believe.

> One issue that arose recently before the NOSB – the use of antibiotics in apple and pear production for fire blight, a bacterial disease. The antibiotics streptomycin and tetracycline have been allowed to be used in organic apple and pear production since their approval by a split vote in 1995. The controversy over their use has involved many issues  ...   Pesticides and You Vol. 31, No. 2 Summer 2011

Pete