From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:18:40 -0400
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Horizontal transmission is greatly decreased since colonies that die from
>mite stress during the winter are not immediately robbed, and the mites
>within are killed by the cold.  Therefore, there is a strong selective
>pressure for mites NOT to kill the colony.

Hello Randy!

There is no doubt strong selection pressures on the varroa side.
However I do have some difficulty with such tremendous weight being placed
on the non-virulent mite theory,,,   IMO, lopsided in consideration of
other potential contributing factors, because it leaves the impression
that honeybees are at the mercy of the mites selective pressures,,, ’feral
bees surviving only because of the selective pressure on the mites side?‘.

My question is,,,
Is there any consideration 'out there' for the existence of varroa
resistance in honeybees playing a role in the feral resurgence?  IMO, it
would be important to identify what traits are leading the way to varroa
resistance in feral honeybees, which are generally free from the too often
misguided selective pressures found in domestic beekeeping.

Best Wishes,

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'
FeralBeeProject.com