From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:26:03 -0600
Hello Lloyd & All,

Lloyd said:
IMHO, it is only
> the researchers who are capable of discussing and determining such a
> 'degree'.

Really?

With the famously inaccurate Fabis test?

 With Dna? ( In Florida DNA testing is said to be only done with a serious
stinging incident. )
I tried to get the Gainesville bee people to let me take a peek at the DNA
lab but they wouldn't. A friend said it was because the Gainesville bee
people did not posses a DNA lab.
I teased wanting to get Jerry Hayes to point to the area of the building
which held the DNA testing area but he changed the subject.

I am glad David Adams ( large Florida commercial beekeeper ) posted as I
agree completely with his post. \

I think David will agree with the following also:

The true test of telling the degree of AHB is done in the field not in a lab
with the Fabis test.

True scutellata display at least four of the behaviors
they are known for. Here are  a sample of some  most seen but there are
others.
.
Aggressive behavior
instant reaction to venom
running on frames being another.
festooning another
taking flight leaving the comb without bees another.

My point is commercial beekeepers working in areas like the Rio Grande
Valley have dealt with AHb for 20 years. The Rio Grande commercial beekeeper
test trumps both the Fabis test and DNA test as to the degree of
Africinazation. No need to send a sample to Tucson and wait weeks for the
verdict.
 Which may or may not be conclusive as David points out.

> AFAIK, the scientific community is holding to their view that hybrids of
> scutellata and mellifira are not significantly less aggressive than 'pure'
> scutellata and that scutellata is rapidly becoming dominate in the South.

 Rapidly becoming dominate in the South?

Surely you do not believe the above? To be honest none of the beekeepers
which winter in Texas ever see a researcher yet we keep seeing the above.
Most these articles are based on old articles which are based on older
articles and those are based on hypothesis.

Please email me the contact information on your NY/ Florida beekeeper you
offered. I will contact and report back. Thanks in advance.

Trying to separate the hype from the fact concerning AHb in the U.S..

In other words what researchers said we should expect when AHB arrived did
not happen. After 20 years I think its safe to say AHB is mostly hype.
varroa is a bigger concern to us than AHB. I have never seen a AHB hive in
the U.S. which made me run away. I have seen those which made me return to
the truck for a veil.

Of course when most researchers enter a bee yard they are in full dress.

bob