From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:17:49 +0100
Tom

The problem is not the mites per se, it is the viruses for which they act as
vectors.  Thus a colony can tolerate very high levels of mites if viruses
are absent, but will have severe problems with lower numbers of mites where
viruses are present; the important virus here is Deformed Wing Virus (DWV).

Since we (your average beekeeper!) have no way of monitoring viruses, we
have
to assume that they are present and therefore act to keep varroa numbers as
low as possible.  2500 may be a threshold where viruses are present, whereas
10,000 may be tolerated where they are absent.  I think that this explains
some of the apparent inconsistencies in the recommendations.

See my report on the Central Association Weekend in:

http://www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/Newsletters/February2002.htm

Peter Edwards