From:
Mike Beluch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:42:00 -0500
     Hugo inquires about:

     >Medical research has led doctors to conclude that one cause of
     >so-called"crib death" or "sudden infant death syndrome" may in fact
     >be due to infant botulism (food poisoning).  A number of public
     >health officials now believe there may be many unrecognized cases of
     >this disease each year, and honey has been implicated as a cause in a
     >few cases.  Symptoms vary from mild to severe,

     In the USA, the National Honey Board recommends that honey not be
     given to infants below the age of 1. When I queried them as to the
     reason, they informed me that there were a few "confirmed" cases of
     infant botulism, believed to caused by ingesting honey. If you contact
     them at the address below, they can give you the name and phone # of a
     US botulism expert, whom you can contact for yourself. Unfortunately,
     I misplaced her number or I would supply it herein.

     Mike Beluch

     USA National Honey Board
     Longmont, Colorado USA

     (303) 776-2337