From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2017 10:01:36 -0700
> >over time, the frames get quite comfortable with it. Instead of the
> frames touching wood to wood, a layer of wax and propolis accumulates
> between them providing a flexible spacer that is better than anything we
> could have designed.

Some of us may not agree with that assessment--such as Hoffman, whose
self-spacing frames I consider to be a brilliant invention. I find that it
is no easier to work a hive with 9 frames solidly glued together at the end
bars, than one with 10 frames that have been tightly squeezed back together
after each inspection.  What I often see is that beekeepers running only 9
frames often fail to space their frames equally.

I personally find that in hives with 10 frames that the combs are straight
(and more saleable in nucs).  Not at all so with combs taken from boxes
with 9 frames--IMHO they are often wavy and a mess, causing excessive
crushing of bees if turned around or moved in the hive.

There are other issues.  I can see that if one is using boxes that are of
narrower inside dimensions, that 10 frames might be a problem.  Certainly
not so with (for example) Mann Lake frames, which for the past several
years leave plenty of room at the sides (actually, more than I prefer).  I
wasn't able to locate any boxes of new Dadant combs this morning, but Mann
Lake's frames self space at  1-3/8" (which appears to me to be the
preferred spacing of naturally-built combs of the volunteer combs that I've
measured).

I fail to see the rationale of the argument for 9 frames based upon
beespace.  The rationale for using 9 (or even 8) combs in honey supers is
that the bees extend the cell depths in order maintain beespace.  One then
winds up with combs that extend beyond the end bars, thus making uncapping
easier.  But I don't see any benefit along that line in the broodnest.

As Paul points out, by running 9 frames, you have fewer cells in the box
(actually, Paul, mathmatically, there are 11.1% more cells by running 10
frames).  Anyway, adding the tenth frame increases the number of available
cells for the queen to lay in, in that particular brood box, by nearly 7000
cells, or more than 4 days of egglaying by a serious queen).

>Splitting ahead of the mites,  and then selling them off to newbies/others
as TF seems to me at the very least to be deceptive.

I'm in complete agreement.  The ethical seller (such as myself) would treat
in order to get the mite load close to zero prior to selling a nuc.
Regarding ET's comment, since you are apparently running Africanized stock,
this may not apply.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA