From:
Lennard Pisa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:52:32 +0000
Dear Dr Carson,

I don't know much about endurance dogs like sled dogs but I keep greyhounds for hunting. Considering honey and dog performance, I would never use it as high doses of carbohydrates seem to be part of the cause of exercitional rhabdomyelis in my dogs. More carbohydrates mean more breakdown of muscle during really hard exercise in my case. They perform better on fat as their energy source. But then my dogs performance is all about anaerobic metabolism, maybe for endurance/aerobic dogs giving them simple sugars from time to time helps their performance. But then glucose is easier to handle. The only use I have for honey is as wound dressing and that works very well.

Royal jelly could add interesting protein to the diet but is expensive and difficult compared to chicken and sardines.

The bees make it to nourish bees, it is by no means essential for canines and primates. Bee brood would be an easier choice, lot of protein but too much hassle again feeding it to dogs. You would have to freeze dry it or stock it in a freezer.

Propolis could be of some use in treating infections maybe but I can't think of any relevant metabolic effect in dogs. Or primates.

Dogs and bees are pretty different.

atb

Lennard