From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:39:23 -0400
On 27-Aug-09, at 2:50 PM, allen wrote:

> I personally, though, find it surprising and noteworthy how this
> story has been exploited and packaged as a money-maker and by
> whom.  Of course it was a great excuse to funnel more badly needed $
> $$ into bee research, but even an ice cream manufacturer managed to
> hitch a ride, and journalists have been eating out on it for ages.
> Nothing like a good emergency and a well primed hype machine to get
> people reaching for their wallets to help an normally obscure and
> somewhat boring (for the population) cause.

Hi Allen Jerry and all

I agree with you about the hype Allen.  When people who are
legitimately concerned about bees ask me about my bees I tell them
that I lost all my bees (except one dink) last year but that this
year all my hives survived(including the dink which survived without
formic treatment last fall).  They often, then, repeat the story
about our loss of our food without honeybees to which I reply that
honeybees are not native to the Americas while tomatoes and potatoes
are.  These major food plants and others  do not require pollination
by honeybees and that the plants that do depend on honeybees, such as
apples and pears,  were imported from Europe with the bees when the
settlers came.  Imagine the Italian diet without tomatoes or the
Irish without potatoes which they didn't have before 1492.  I hope I
am not wrong in trying to correct some of the starvation stories that
have risen from the CCD story but the loss of any pollinator will
result in the loss of a group of dependent plants(thinking Monarch
butterfly and milkweed).  We need to protect all of our pollinators
and their habitat, native or imported.

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada